It’s not actually that easy to get a bet on man of the match when it comes to football but below we’ve got details on four bookmakers who offer this market.
Of course, one of the key issues surrounding the award is that in all cases, the award is down to the subjective opinion of either one or a couple of football experts or reviewers.
Given that this isn’t an easily measurable market, it is perhaps unsurprising that there are only a select number bookmakers with man of the match betting. Each bookmaker has different rules for the award of MOTM so read the rules section below carefully to ensure you know how your bet will work.
How MOTM Betting Works
Man of the match betting works by punters looking through a list of players that are playing in a selected game and then deciding which out of the 22 players that start the game, or any of the substitutes, are likely to be declared the winner following the game.
Once the game has been completed, then the MOTM is decided but which one is relevant to your bet depends on which bookmaker you bet with.
It will either the broadcasters selection, or more rarely, FIFA’s selection as MOTM for International games will be used.
Once the player is announced then winning bets are paid out at the odds taken at the time the bet was placed.
MOTM Betting Rules
Now you know about where to bet on man of the match lets address the complex issue of how bets are settled with different betting websites.
When it comes to betting on Man of the Match markets where available, there are some key rules regarding which declarations will be used by the bookmaker for purposes of settling the bet.
- Sky Sports – announced at end of game or on website after match.
- ITV – announced at end of game (excludes Europa & Champions League final, World Cup and Euro championship matches which are settled by official decision)
- BT Sport – announced at end of game.
- UEFA & FIFA – official decision as named by relevant governing body.
*If game is available on more than one station/channel Sky Sports selection will take precedent and if no decision given bets will be void regardless of other channel awards.
MOTM betting only offered on games shown live of Sky Sports or BT Sport:
- Sky Sports – as selected during broadcast or on website after game.
- BT Sport – as selected during broadcast.
*If no selection is made during broadcast on BT Sport bets are void and stakes are returned in full.
- UK broadcasters selection will be used to determine market result.
- If no award given during broadcast bets are void and stakes are returned.
- Sky Sports decision takes priority over all other channels.
- Bets will be settled by official body man of the match award (this is all the info they list on their site).
There are a couple of other rules you should also be aware of before you place your bets:
If you back a player to win the award who subsequently plays no part in the game either as a member of the first eleven, or as a substitute, they are deemed to be a non-runner and your stake will be returned to you.
If two players are awarded a split award then dead heat rules will apply to winning bets. This means half your stake is applied at the full winning odds and half is lost.